What Is Mental Illness?
Mental illnesses are health conditions involving changes in thinking, emotion or behavior (or a combination of these). Mental illnesses are associated with distress and/or problems functioning in social, work or family activities.
Mental illness is common. In a given year:
- Nearly one in five (19%) U.S. adults experience some form of mental illness.
- One in 24 (4.1% has a serious mental illness.
- One in 12 (8.5%) has a substance use disorder.
Early Warning Signs
Not sure if you or someone you know is living with mental health problems? Experiencing one or more of the following feelings or behaviors can be an early warning sign of a problem:
- Eating or sleeping too much or too little
- Pulling away from people and usual activities
- Having low or no energy
- Feeling numb or like nothing matters
- Having unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling helpless or hopeless
- Smoking, drinking, or using drugs more than usual
- Feeling unusually confused, forgetful, on edge, angry, upset, worried, or scared
- Yelling or fighting with family and friends
- Experiencing severe mood swings that cause problems in relationships
- Having persistent thoughts and memories you can’t get out of your head
- Hearing voices or believing things that are not true
- Thinking of harming yourself or others
- Inability to perform daily tasks like taking care of your kids or getting to work or school
Just know that mental illness is treatable and the vast majority of individuals with mental illness continue to function in their daily lives.
Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a medical problem, just like heart disease or diabetes.
If you or someone you know is dealing with mental illness, please get support!!!
**All swatches are done using Commitment Issues (liquid latex peel off base coat) by Vapid, Top Coat (glossy QDTC) by Glisten & Glow and Onward Through the Fog (matte topcoat) by Vapid. Swatch photos are taken using artificial lights.**
This month the Monthly Awareness Polish Box (M.A.P.B.) is supporting Project Semicolon by donating 10% of all sales. Preorder starts Friday, January 12th thru Saturday, January 27th.
The cost is $52/box including all 6 polishes, $40 for your choice of 4 or $11/individually (applicable shipping rates apply).
**As an added bonus, I’ll be swatching these polishes live this evening, Wed. Jan. 10th at 8pm est on my Instagram and Facebook Page (links below).**
January Makers and Brands feature:
- Lindsay of Night Owl Lacquer*
- Virginia of Pretty Beautiful Unlimited*
- Angie of Sassy Pants Polish*
- Mariah of Great Lakes Lacquer
- Sarah of Bees Knees Lacquer
- Stefanie of Supernatural Lacquer
Sassy Pants – You Got This
A Kelly green scattered holographic shimmer polish
Bee’s Knees – One Day at a Time
A rusty orange with pink shimmer and linear holo
Great Lakes Lacquer – It’s Not A Decision
A dark gray with abundant shimmer moving through purple to a glowing rosy gold and pinpricks of blue and green.
Night Owl Lacquer – You Are Not Alone
A medium blue packed full of green shimmer and orange to green shifting iridescent shreds.
Supernatural Lacquer – Progress Not Perfection
A black base with burgundy/purple/gold shift, aqua/pink flakies
Pretty Beautiful Unlimited – Stamp It Out
A medium red leaning pink base with a pink/blue shifting shimmer, crystal flakes that shift copper/red/gold/green and micro holo flakes and glitters.